About Gulliver Preparatory School
Established in 1926 by Arthur Gulliver in Coconut Grove, Gulliver was likened to the prestigious academies of the northeast and initially attracted families who wintered in Florida. In late 1953, Marian Krutulis purchased the school. A pioneer in education, Mrs. Krutulis envisioned Gulliver as grand home where both students and teachers would feel part of a caring, inspiring family of learners. Over the course of 25 years, she relocated the school to Coral Gables, built an upper school for high school students in Pinecrest and achieved ‘Blue Ribbon School of Excellence’ designation by the US Department of Education. In 2000 Gulliver became a non-profit. Today, Gulliver Preparatory School serves approximately 2,200 students in Grades PK–12 on three campuses. Despite its significant growth over the last 60 years, Gulliver still upholds Marian Krutulis’ vision to maintain the physical and social-emotional health of its students and trains them to become people of integrity in everything they say and do.
Gulliver Preparatory School is currently seeking part-time Swim Instructors to join our team of professionals. The Swim Instructor will demonstrate competency to teach and lead specific skills and activities in the water. Adherence to Gulliver Swim School teaching curriculum ensures that each student in the program learns water survival skills and then professes to propulsion and store development in a fun and gentle environment. In addition, the Swim Instructor is responsible for the prevention of accidents as well as the minimization and elimination of hazardous conditions in all aquatics areas.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Passion for teaching & working with children.
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, and able to work independently.
- Instruct and evaluate students participating in swim lessons.
- Responsible for the safety or participants in their own class.
- Begin and end class on time, remain after class to answer participant and/or parent questions as needed, and clean up supplies.
- Submit completed report cards, skills sheets and attendance information on time.
- Maintain surveillance of patrons in the facility.
- Act immediately and appropriately to secure safety o patrons in the event of an emergency.
- Provide emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services.
- Present a professional appearance and attitude at all times, and maintain a high standard of customer service.
- Attend mandatory meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Maintain a clean facility, performing house cleaning duties.
- Perform water chemical balance tests prior to an after swim lessons.
- All other duties as assigned and appropriate.
- CPR/AED Certification
- First Aid Certification
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Certification
- Previous aquatic experience is a plus!
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening(s), and Drug screen.
Gulliver is deeply committed to the principles of equity and diversity and seeks to create an inclusive community for all faculty and staff. Gulliver is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and a Drug Free Workplace.