About Gulliver Preparatory School
Established in 1926 by Arthur Gulliver in Coconut Grove, Gulliver was likened to the prestigious academies of the northeast and initially attracted families who wintered in Florida. In late 1953, Marian Krutulis purchased the school. A pioneer in education, Mrs. Krutulis envisioned Gulliver as a grand home where both students and teachers would feel part of a caring, inspiring family of learners. Over the course of 25 years, she relocated the school to Coral Gables, built an upper school for high school students in Pinecrest and achieved ‘Blue Ribbon School of Excellence’ designation by the US Department of Education. In 2000 Gulliver became a non-profit. Today, Gulliver Preparatory School serves approximately 2,200 students in Grades PK–12 on three campuses. Despite its significant growth over the last 60 years, Gulliver still upholds Marian Krutulis’ vision to maintain the physical and social-emotional health of its students and trains them to become people of integrity in everything they say and do.
Gulliver Preparatory School is currently seeking a full-time School Nurse to join our team of professionals. The school nurse serves in a pivotal role to provide expertise and oversight for the provision of school health services and promotion of health education. Using clinical knowledge and judgement, the school nurse provides health care to students and staff. The nurse will serve as a liaison between school personnel, family, community and healthcare providers to advocate for health care and a healthy school environment. The school nurse has a multi-faceted role within the school setting, one that supports the physical, mental, emotional, and social health of students and their success in the learning process. The nursing activities contained within the role of a school nurse and the unique non-medical setting that differentiates school nursing from other nursing specialties.
The National Association of School Nurses defines school nursing as a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-being, academic success and lifelong achievement and health of students. School nurses facilitate normal development and positive student response to interventions; promote health and safety including a healthy environment; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management service; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self-management, self-advocacy, and learning. Healthy children are successful learners.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide and evaluate nursing care to Gulliver students and employees along with providing acute nursing care to visitors.
- Implement Miami Dade Department of Health nursing practices.
- Complete nursing assessments, vital signs, treatments and nursing documentation.
- Provide daily nursing assessments, treatments and acute urgent nursing care.
- Medicate students with daily medication needs as described in the Medication Authorization Form.
- Provide preventive, secondary and tertiary educational teaching in regards to disease process and anticipatory guidance.
- Adherence to Gulliver Preparatory Schools Health Care Manual.
- Act as liaison between risk management and parents upon request offering and facilitating nursing medical guidelines to accommodate all parties.
- Coordinate with athletic trainers, therapists, and team physicians.
- Be On-Call for staff assistance pertaining to nursing medical concerns.
- Order supplies, or approve the ordering of supplies for all campuses.
- Attend Middle School overnight trips. Assemble first aid kits for buses, medical concern list and all paperwork for each trip.
- Perform other duties deemed necessary by the Nurse Supervisor or Administrative management.
- State of Florida Registered Nurse (RN) License
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Card
- Experience in a school setting, preferably in a private school caring for students from PK-12 grade.
- Must maintain the ability to effectively communicate with various levels or personnel, parents, students and vendors both verbally and written in a professional manner.
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening(s), and Drug screen.