School Nurse (Temporary Full-Time)
ABOUT GULLIVER PREPARATORY SCHOOL:
Gulliver Preparatory School is a co-educational, non-profit organization that was established in 1926 in Miami, Florida and offers an integrated and comprehensive college preparatory program for grades PreK3 -12. One of the largest independent schools in Florida, Gulliver Prep enrolls more than 2,200 students on four campuses. Our Mission is to create an academic community devoted to educational excellence, with a personal touch, that fulfills each student’s potential.
Gulliver Preparatory School is currently seeking a full-time contracted school nurse to join our team. This position will be a contracted position through the end of the school year with the potential to become a permanent role for the next school year. The school nurse serves in a pivotal role to provide expertise and oversight for the provision of school health services and promotion of health education. Using clinical knowledge and judgement, the school nurse provides health care to students and staff. The nurse will serve as a liaison between school personnel, family, community and healthcare providers to advocate for health care and a healthy school environment. The National Association of School Nurses defines school nursing as a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-bring, academic success and lifelong achievement and health of students. School nurses facilitate normal development and positive student response to interventions; promote health and safety including a healthy environment; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management service; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self-management, self-advocacy, and learning. Healthy children are successful learners. The school nurse has a multi-faceted role within the school setting, one that supports the physical, mental, emotional, and social health of students and their success in the learning process. The nursing activities contained within the role of a school nurse and the unique non-medical setting that differentiates school nursing from other nursing specialties. Work shifts will be 8 hours, from 9:30am – 6:00pm or 7:30am – 4:00pm as needed.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide and evaluate nursing care to Gulliver students and employees along with providing acute nursing care to visitors.
- Implement Miami Dade Department of Health nursing practices.
- Complete nursing assessments, vital signs, treatments and nursing documentation.
- Provide daily nursing assessments, treatments and acute urgent nursing care.
- Medicate students with daily medication needs as described in the Medication Authorization Form.
- Provide preventive, secondary and tertiary educational teaching in regards to disease process and anticipatory guidance.
- Adherence to Gulliver Preparatory Schools Health Care Manual.
- Act as liaison between risk management and parents upon request offering and facilitating nursing medical guidelines to accommodate all parties.
- Coordinate with athletic trainers, therapists, and team physicians.
- Be an active participant with Gulliver Preparatory Schools Safety Committee.
- Be On-Call for staff assistance pertaining to nursing medical concerns.
- Order supplies, or approve the ordering of supplies, for the Marian C. Krutulis PK-8 Campuses First Aid Station and consult with First Aid Technicians or nurses from other campuses with their supply orders.
- Attend all Middle School overnight trips. Assemble first aid kits for buses, medical concern list and all paperwork for each trip.
- Perform other duties deemed necessary by the Nurse Supervisor or Administrative management.
- State of Florida Registers Nurse (RN) License
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certificate
- Experience in a school setting, preferably in a private school caring for students from Kindergarten through twelfth grade.
- Must maintain the ability to effectively communicate with various levels or personnel, parents, students and vendors both verbally and written in a professional manner.
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening(s) and Drug screen
Gulliver Schools Inc. is an EOE M/F/V/D Drug Free Workplace