Director of Operations, Risk Management and Safety
Appointment for July 1, 2021
About Gulliver Preparatory School
Established in 1926 by Arthur Gulliver in Coconut Grove, Gulliver was likened to the prestigious academies of the northeast and initially attracted families who wintered in Florida. In late 1953, Marian Krutulis purchased the school. A pioneer in education, Mrs. Krutulis envisioned Gulliver as grand home where both students and teachers would feel part of a caring, inspiring family of learners. Over the course of 25 years, she relocated the school to Coral Gables, built an upper school for high school students in Pinecrest and achieved ‘Blue Ribbon School of Excellence’ designation by the US Department of Education. In 2000 Gulliver became a non-profit. Today, Gulliver Preparatory School serves approximately 2,200 students in Grades PreK3 – 12 on four campuses. Despite its significant growth over the last 60 years, Gulliver still upholds Marian Krutulis’ vision to maintain the physical and social-emotional health of its students and trains them to become people of integrity in everything they say and do.
The Director of Operations, Risk Management and Safety will lead the School in the management, day-to-day operational matters, risk management, security, safety and Emergency Management procedures. The Director will continuously improve daily operations, safety and security at the institution by developing and implementing best practices.
This role is the strategic leader for campus operations, assessing risks, ensuring compliance, operational excellence. The Director is a strategic partner for Senior Management Team and all school staff by driving insightful innovative thinking and problem solving.
- Manage and coordinate day-to-day campus operations, risk management, security team and safety for faculty, staff and students; Liaises with Senior management, legal, insurance, health professionals, and school-wide staff, etc. to protect the school and ensure a safe environment.
- Directs strategy to assess and mitigate risk, manage incidents, maintain continuity of security operations and safeguard the organization
- Provides expert thought management on risk management and security related issues. Works with cross functional teams to implement solutions; Keeps abreast of technical, legislative, and professional trends and the developments affecting programs designed to promote safe schools. Establishes and maintains an active network of professional contacts.
- Seamlessly coordinates with law enforcement, intelligence agencies, emergency management and other relevant governmental functions as well as private sector counterparts to ensure safety and emergency management policies, procedures and coordination are aligned.
- Develops outstanding relationships with all levels of management and staff; Builds respect and buy-in to implement safety and security policies and procedures
- Responsible for the design and implementation of emergency policies and procedures using best practices for safety for schools and similar institutions; Plans and coordinates systematic education and training programs to increase emergency awareness and preparedness among staff/students and teaches emergency response skills to core staff.
- Researches and deploys technology solutions and innovative risk management and security management techniques to manage risk and safeguard the organization’s personnel and assets. Establishes appropriate standards and associated risk controls.
- Leads cross-functional teams for all safety related projects and initiatives including Faculty/Staff, Technology, Facility, Finance, Health and Senior Management. Outstanding oversight skills required to ensure results.
- Candidates are required to have a Bachelor’s in Business, Management, Criminal Justice, Psychology, or other suitable field of study.
- Five (5) or more years of experience leading an institution’s risk management/security and/or safety.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with people of all levels and backgrounds are essential. Strong management skills are a must.
- Outstanding analytical ability to evaluate and track KPI’s related to Risk Management, Safety and Security. Knowledge of, experience with physical security systems both hardware and software.
- Knowledge of behavior management techniques, identifying risks and creating a culture committed to safety and security is a must.
- Experience with a school, hospital or other complex institution is preferred.
- Ability to see the big picture and develop a long term plan that incorporates personal, culture, technology and facility design to enhance the overall safety of the school
- Result-driven, agile, change agent with the commitment and confidence to assume a leadership role in an evolving complex environment.
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness and credibility necessary to gain the trust and commitment of individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening(s), and Drug screen.
Gulliver is deeply committed to the principles of equity and diversity and seeks to create an inclusive community for all faculty and staff. Gulliver is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and a Drug Free Workplace.