Director of Finance
About Gulliver Preparatory School
Established in 1926 by Arthur Gulliver in Coconut Grove, Gulliver was likened to the prestigious academies of the northeast and initially attracted families who wintered in Florida. In late 1953, Marian Krutulis purchased the school. A pioneer in education, Mrs. Krutulis envisioned Gulliver as grand home where both students and teachers would feel part of a caring, inspiring family of learners. Over the course of 25 years, she relocated the school to Coral Gables, built an upper school for high school students in Pinecrest and achieved ‘Blue Ribbon School of Excellence’ designation by the US Department of Education. In 2000 Gulliver became a non-profit. Today, Gulliver Preparatory School serves approximately 2,200 students in Grades PK-12 on three campuses. Despite its significant growth over the last 60 years, Gulliver still upholds Marian Krutulis’ vision to maintain the physical and social-emotional health of its students and trains them to become people of integrity in everything they say and do.
Gulliver Preparatory School is seeking to hire a Director of Finance to join our team of professionals. The qualified candidate will work closely with the Accounting & Finance Team, along with the Chief Financial/Operating Officer to perform financial analysis, decision-making support, monthly reporting, budgeting and forecasting. Additionally, this role will support the President and Head of School with various presentations and ad-hoc analysis on an as needed basis. This role reports to the Chief Financial/Operating Officer.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support in performing budgeting, forecasting, and ad-hoc financial/operational analysis related to cost management, working capital management, headcount control, operational performance and executing Gulliver's Strategic Plan.
- Responsible for directing the accounting functions of the school.
- Establishes and maintains the school's accounting principles, practices, procedures and initiatives. Supervises the day-to-day accounting functions including; general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit and collections, payroll and financial aid.
- Prepares monthly financial statements and all other financial reporting including quarterly Board packages, debt compliance reporting, annual report and 990.
- Performs and leads in-depth financial analyses, builds and maintains detailed growth and strategic models to analyze school cash flows over near and long term, and develop fact-based recommendations to help make informed business decisions.
- Leads the budget process including: developing, communicating and driving the budget timeline, creating budget templates, maintaining budget roll-up files, and preparing budget deliverables for the Board of Trustees Finance Committee, bankers and other stakeholders.
- Provide results from monthly analysis vs. budget and forecasted expectations to the Executive Leadership Team.
- Prepares monthly forecasts and updates/modifications to the five-year plan.
- Implements and manages best practices within the organization and develops meaningful reporting, KPl's, metrics, and measures.
- Oversees and manages cross-functional projects to drive simplification throughout the organization and to improve rigor in processes, reducing costs & improving efficiency.
- Perform other duties as assigned, such as overseeing the Dining Services contract.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational, leadership, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Financial and business acumen.
- Team building and interpersonal skills.
- Management of multiple priorities.
- Business partnership experience.
- "Self-Starter" working with enthusiasm to manage responsibilities with a sense of urgency.
- BS/BA in Finance, Accounting or related field.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- 7+ years’ experience in accounting, budgeting & financial analysis.
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening(s), and Drug screen.
Gulliver is deeply committed to the principles of equity and diversity and seeks to create an inclusive community for all faculty and staff. Gulliver is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and a Drug Free Workplace.