About Gulliver Preparatory School
Established in 1926 by Arthur Gulliver in Coconut Grove, Gulliver was likened to the prestigious academies of the northeast and initially attracted families who wintered in Florida. In late 1953, Marian Krutulis purchased the school. A pioneer in education, Mrs. Krutulis envisioned Gulliver as grand home where both students and teachers would feel part of a caring, inspiring family of learners. Over the course of 25 years, she relocated the school to Coral Gables, built an upper school for high school students in Pinecrest and achieved ‘Blue Ribbon School of Excellence’ designation by the US Department of Education. In 2000 Gulliver became a non-profit. Today, Gulliver Preparatory School serves approximately 2,200 students in Grades PreK3 – 12 on four campuses. Despite its significant growth over the last 60 years, Gulliver still upholds Marian Krutulis’ vision to maintain the physical and social-emotional health of its students and trains them to become people of integrity in everything they say and do.
Gulliver Preparatory School is currently seeking a custodian to join our team or professionals. The qualified candidate will need to be able to provide a clean, sanitary, comfortable, orderly, and satisfying environment for administrators, faculty, support staff, parents, visitors, and students. The custodian promotes sanitary conditions which prevent the spread of infection and odors. She/he may be required to perform tasks, which involve exposure to visible blood contamination or reasonable anticipated blood contamination. The selected candidate must follow the required procedures for handling, cleaning, disposing or moving of objects/materials and/or the cleanup of blood, infections materials, or body fluids containing blood in accordance with the OSHA Blood-borne Pathogen Standard or Gulliver Management Company's Exposure Control Plan for Blood-borne pathogens.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Operate various mechanized cleaning apparatus, including, but not limited to vacuum cleaners, polishers, buffers, steamers, etc.
- Maintain facility in a sanitary condition through washing, cleaning, and replacement of supplies and furnishings.
- Ability to work in damp, dusty, and dirty areas. May be required to clean human waste and body fluids as necessary.
- Responsible for the proper disposal of trash, waste, and other disposable materials.
- Safely and properly handle various cleaning solvents, chemicals, etc. according to specified directions; must comply with all regulations such as OSHA, EPA, State Health Department, etc.
- Plan work schedule with sufficient time to complete primary tasks.
- Damp-dust furniture, light fixtures, window sills, etc.
- Empty trash containers daily as directed.
- Wet-mop bathroom floors daily; damp-mop corridor floors, lobby, dining areas, and floors in other areas daily as directed.
- Clean washbasins, mirrors, and showers daily as directed.
- Clean all air vents as directed.
- Report the need for necessary repairs immediately to supervisor (examples: leaky faucets, loose tile, broken window panes, missing nuts or screws, safety-related issues, etc.)
- Wash windows as scheduled and as directed.
- Strip and recoat floors when necessary, as directed, and/or as scheduled.
- Visually inspect walking surfaces for spills, water, and slippery condition, and clean and dry such conditions before leaving a job site.
- Use germicidal solutions as directed and instructed by supervisors.
- Comply with safety precautions in all housekeeping services as directed and instructed by supervisors.
- Perform additional tasks as requested by supervisor.
- High School Diploma or GED
- This position demands good physical and mental health. The custodian will be required to lift, carry, walk, sit, push, pull and work a flexible schedule, must be able to move continuously during work hours and able to lift and/or carry 25 to 40 pounds.
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening(s), and Drug screen.
Gulliver is deeply committed to the principles of equity and diversity and seeks to create an inclusive community for all faculty and staff. Gulliver is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and a Drug Free Workplace.