2022-23 Primary & Lower School Assistant Principal
About Gulliver Preparatory School
Established in 1926 by Arthur Gulliver in Coconut Grove, Gulliver was likened to the prestigious academies of the northeast and initially attracted families who wintered in Florida. In late 1953, Marian Krutulis purchased the school. A pioneer in education, Mrs. Krutulis envisioned Gulliver as grand home where both students and teachers would feel part of a caring, inspiring family of learners. Over the course of 25 years, she relocated the school to Coral Gables, built an upper school for high school students in Pinecrest and achieved ‘Blue Ribbon School of Excellence’ designation by the US Department of Education. In 2000 Gulliver became a non-profit. Today, Gulliver Preparatory School serves approximately 2,200 students in Grades PK–12 on three campuses. Despite its significant growth over the last 60 years, Gulliver still upholds Marian Krutulis’ vision to maintain the physical and social-emotional health of its students and trains them to become people of integrity in everything they say and do.
Gulliver Preparatory School is looking for a Primary & Lower School Assistant Principal to join our team of professionals for the upcoming 2022-2023 school year. The Assistant Principal assists the Principal in the day-to-day administration and management of the Primary and Lower School and assume duties of the principal in the event of their absence.
Specific job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supports a positive school culture with all constituents, including students, faculty and families.
- Supports academic programs and curricular work within Primary and Lower School divisions.
- Collaborate with the Director of Curriculum, Assessment and Student Support Services and other key personnel in the development and implementation of new curricular initiatives, including professional development opportunities.
- Monitors students’ academic, behavioral, and social progress.
- Attends weekly PLEASE meetings to review student progress and follow-up recommendations.
- Reviews and evaluates student data, including student assessments for purposes of differentiation and for reporting purposes.
- Observes and provides feedback to teachers on performance through informal and formal teacher observations.
- Supports the Dean of Students in their role. Attends and/or leads meetings with parents regarding student progress.
- Monitors safety and security of students, faculty and parents throughout the campus.
- Communicates with the director of security to ensure student, faculty, and staff’s safety.
- Coordinates with the maintenance supervisor to ensure physical safety of campus.
- Creates the academic schedule for Primary and Lower School.
- Supports planning and execution of events and activities in both divisions, including special celebrations, arrival/dismissal, field trips, etc.
- Assists principal in the interviewing, hiring, and orientation of teachers and substitutes. Provides input on teacher placement.
- Assist as needed with logistics of class and school field trips.
- Attend all school events and participate in school social activities.
- Consult with Principal and Dean of Students when considering modification of policies (including handbooks for Student-Parent and Faculty).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with both students and adults. Ability to use interpersonal skills to defuse or deflect emotionally charged people and situations is crucial.
- Able to organize, plan, execute, analyze and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 10 years of successful teaching experience and 3 years of school administration experience.
- Master’s degree is preferred
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening(s), and Drug screen
Gulliver is deeply committed to the principles of equity and diversity and seeks to create an inclusive community for all faculty and staff. Gulliver is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and a Drug Free Workplace.