2022-23 Middle School Dean of Students
About Gulliver Preparatory School
Established in 1926 by Arthur Gulliver in Coconut Grove, Gulliver was likened to the prestigious academies of the northeast and initially attracted families who wintered in Florida. In late 1953, Marian Krutulis purchased the school. A pioneer in education, Mrs. Krutulis envisioned Gulliver as grand home where both students and teachers would feel part of a caring, inspiring family of learners. Over the course of 25 years, she relocated the school to Coral Gables, built an upper school for high school students in Pinecrest and achieved ‘Blue Ribbon School of Excellence’ designation by the US Department of Education. In 2000 Gulliver became a non-profit. Today, Gulliver Preparatory School serves approximately 2,200 students in Grades PK–12 on three campuses. Despite its significant growth over the last 60 years, Gulliver still upholds Marian Krutulis’ vision to maintain the physical and social-emotional health of its students and trains them to become people of integrity in everything they say and do.
Gulliver Prep’s Middle School is looking for a Dean of Students for the 2022-23 school year. The Dean of Students serves as a member of the middle school administrative team to cultivate a positive, engaging, and inclusive school environment. The Dean has a strong understanding of the developmental stages of fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students and supports the whole student experience with a focus on academic and social-emotional skill-building and character growth. The Dean is an integral part of the day-to-day operations of the school and will play an instrumental role in establishing and reinforcing high expectations for positive student behavior. The role of the Dean involves building strong relationships and working closely with students, faculty, and parents in order to maintain a positive school culture and create a rewarding middle school experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree required,
- Minimum of 5 years of successful experience in middle school teaching or school administration, or guidance/counseling.
- Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership or closely related field is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to building empathy and empowering students to engage across differences.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, which create and ensure a balance in managing the responsibilities of the role.
- Excellent communication skills while upholding confidentiality. Exceptional interpersonal skills and a warm, genuine, and engaging demeanor.
- Ability to mediate conflict and multi-task.
- Experience with diverse learners.
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening(s), and Drug screen.
Gulliver is deeply committed to the principles of equity and diversity and seeks to create an inclusive community for all faculty and staff. Gulliver is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and a Drug Free Workplace.